Research and healthcare made better by PCR-TagTrax
As PCR tubes are notoriously difficult to label, errors can occur frequently. Mislabeled tubes represent a huge cost to the science and healthcare industry; an error in PCR testing can cost hospitals upwards of $712 per sample, resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in unnecessary costs.1 For research labs, this means the loss of potentially irreplaceable samples, in addition to expensive PCR reagents and time. For clinical labs, the consequences can be even more severe if a patient receives an inaccurate PCR test result. PCR-based tests, like those used to detect genetic mutations in cancer or to identify infectious pathogens, are often used to guide therapy options; the life of the patient can depend on receiving an accurate test result to choose the best therapy. An error could mean that the patient does not receive appropriate treatment and/or receives an unnecessary and potentially harmful therapy. Retesting may also be required, necessitating diagnostic procedures that put patients at risk.2
These types of PCR errors can be averted by using PCR-TagTrax. It makes labeling small PCR tubes efficient and cost-effective, providing a series of options for tagging, tracking, and storing these challenging samples. There are many additional benefits to using this PCR Sidekick, including:
- Adhesive-free, glove-friendly design for ease of use
- Versatile design allows tubes, strips, and plates to be tagged in a variety of configurations and styles
- Identification of PCR samples with more information than cap dots and tube side rectangular labels combined
- Quick, bird’s eye view of all printed information upon opening the thermocycler lid
- Able to withstand a wide range of temperatures, from –196°C to +150°
- Thermal-transfer printable, allowing the labels to be printed on with barcodes for easy tracking
- Available in a variety of individual colors or multicolor for easy and convenient color coding
- Perforation line allows the tag to serve as a stand for storage in laboratory refrigerators and freezers
LabTAG by GA International is a leading manufacturer of high-performance specialty labels and a supplier of identification solutions used in research and medical labs as well as healthcare institutions.
- The Problem of Mislabeled Specimens. Northfield, IL; 2010.
- Kahn SE. Specimen Mislabeling: A Significant and Costly Cause of Potentially Serious Medical Errors. Brønshøj, Denmark; 2005.